Monday, October 29, 2012

Myanmar Trip -- Part I


Planning
I came across a mistake fare that would allow me to fly in international first class for about $260.  I booked it, and then went about preparing for the trip.  My flight was departing in about 3 weeks, so I needed to quickly get a visa to be able to enter Myanmar.  I sent in my passport to the Myanmar embassy in Washington DC.  They said processing time was 10 business day so I thought I had enough time.

As my departure date neared, my passport still hadn't arrived and I started getting more and more worried.  I even thought about paying $300 to get an emergency passport.  Luckily, my passport arrived at my house literally the day before my trip.  So everything worked out in the end.

SEA British Airways Lounge
After some uneventful United flights, I arrived in Seattle and headed to the lounge.  Asiana uses the British Airways lounge here which is quite nice.  They have all the typical snacks and drinks as well as soup.

British Airways lounge Seattle

View from the lounge


Soup

Asiana: SEA-ICN
OZ 271
Duration: 11:30 hrs
Class: Business

After some nice time in the lounge, it was time to board my flight.  I was in business class, and Asiana has a very nice business class product.  The seat is comfortable, but not fully lie flat.  The service is very good.  My only complaint is the entertainment system which had very limited content.

Business class seat

IFE

Plenty of legroom
Amenity kit

Headphone jack and USB port

Power port

Pre-departure beverages

Hot towel
After takeoff, the flight attendants passed out menus and the meal service began.  You can view the menu here.  The food was all quite good.  One of the appetizers I ordered wasn't available.  The flight attendant was extremely apologetic.  I was like "no problem....the other option looks good too."  She responded by saying, "this is unacceptable that we are out of your first choice."  I'd never seen somebody so sorry.  I almost thought she was going to turn the plane around back to Seattle to get my first choice.

Smoked duck and scallop

Korean seafood pancake -- about as good as it sounds

Korean pumpkin soup (Hobakjuk)

Roasted chicken breast

Fresh fruit

Korean traditional cookies (lame dessert)

We were flying over Russia for most of the flight which provided some great views.



A few hours before landing, the flight attendants served the pre-arrival meal.  Even though I was sitting in the back of business class, the flight attendant took my order first to make sure I got my first choice this time.

Marinated shrimp and scallop  

Egg fried rice with shrimp

Fresh fruit
After a long, but very comfortable flight, we landed in Seoul where the trip was only beginning.  Stay tuned for Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment