Saturday, October 29, 2011

Megabus to Philadelphia

Somebody gave me a $150 gift card to Del Frisco's steakhouse, but unfortunately there isn't one in DC. Luckily, there is one in Philadelphia which is only a 2.5 hour drive from DC.

Me and my roommate grabbed some cheap Megabus fares to Philly and were soon on our way. The night before leaving, I had some especially tedious statistics homework that I'd been putting off for a long time. I stayed up until about 6 am working on it, but still didn't finish and figured I'd work on it on the bus.

It was extremely rainy and cold in DC when we were walking to the Megabus stop which sucked because we were soaking wet on our 2.5 hour bus ride. It was turning out to be one of the worst days ever. Not only was I wet and cold sitting on a cramped bus, but I still had my stat homework to do.  I tried very hard to do work on the bus, but it was next to impossible. I had to do it on my computer, and while Megabuses are equipped with WiFi and power outlets, neither was working on this bus. In fact, come to think of it, the WiFi and power outlets never seem to work whenever I've taken Megabus.

It was also extremely difficult to concentrate because they had one of those Tyler Perry movies blasting from the screen. Black women singing about how they can "do bad all on their own" is not conducive to doing stat homework. The movie didn't seem very appropriate for kids considering there is one scene where a man starts violently twitching from an electric shock after his girlfriend drops a boombox into the bathtub that he's in. I didn't see any kids on the bus, but still I don't think this is appropriate for children, especially when parents have no way of stopping their kids from watching it.

Our bus was really crappy as well. At one point the bus driver had to stop the bus in the middle of the road and get out to close a panel on the side of the bus that had popped open.


Terrible movie that blasted from the speakers


Arriving in Philly
We finally arrived in Philly looking somewhat disheveled. Our reservation at Del Frisco's wasn't for another two hours, and while the plan was originally to walk around looking at the various company headquarters Philadelphia has to offer (ya, we're nerds), we just decided to hang out at a McDonalds. This was a smart move consodering it was extremely cold and snowy outside, and I was able to finally finish my stat homework.

At around 6:30 we headed over to Del Frisco's. Upon walking in, the day turned from being very shitty to the best day ever. The staff at Del Frisco's were extremely nice and friendly. We had a very leisurely meal with a ton of courses. The steak was probably the best steak I've ever eaten.

Del Frisco's

Interior



12 oz. filet mignon with asparagus

Chocolate souffle cake

Butterscotch cheesecake


One thing to note is the bathroom. It's a one person bathroom with an attendant who handles everything for you from your soap, your towel, cologne, etc. I almost thought he was going to pull down my zipper for me.

After a few hours, we headed back to catch our Megabus home. Our bus home was much nicer than the bus coming to Philadelphia. It was practically empty and we got great seats in the upper level at the very front. If you ever take Megabus, this is the best place to sit.

Front row seat, top floor

Overall, it turned out to be a great trip.

1 comment:

  1. Great contrast. Lufthansa first class vs. Megabus. Thanks.

    -Bane

    ReplyDelete